18 September 2013

To Whom Should We Pray?

To Whom Should We Pray?; Who do we pray to, the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit?

Answer:
Without knowing to whom we are praying is like talking to a crowd without specifying the person. It is very important to know to whom we are praying and, to pray to whom we have to pray. Praying unlike is also a disobedience to God's commandments when bible makes it clear to whom and how we should pray.

Today people pray to Heavenly Father, Son of God and to Holy Spirit without knowing whom to pray. In bible, Jesus Christ makes it very clear that we should pray only to our Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus Christ. No one person, No where in the bible prayed unlike that. 

Jesus Christ taught us in Matthew 6:6, When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Again, In Mat.6:9, “This, then, is how you should pray: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,...."

Jesus Christ is telling us why we should pray in His name in John 14:13, And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

We can also use the following Names of our Heavenly Father when we pray.
  • Abba: "Father" (Mark 14:26; Rom. 8:15; Gal. 4:6)
  • El Shaddai: All Sufficient God (Rev. 1:8;  Gen. 17:1)
  • El Elyon: The Most High God (Heb. 7:1; Gen. 14:20; Psalm 9:2)
  • Elohim : God (2 Cor. 9:7)
  • Avinu Shebashamayim: Our Heavenly Father (Matt. 6:9; Luke 11:2)
  • Adonai Elohim: The LORD God (Acts 3:22; Gen. 2:4)
  • Haggo'el: Lord God Almighty; Lord God of Hosts (Rev. 15:3)
NB: Only major names of Heavenly Father from bible are listed.

Praying to Jesus Christ:
It is very common for all of us(including me) to have a tendency to pray to the Son of God, Jesus Christ because of our love towards our savior who died on the cross for us. But the Better way to show our love towards Jesus Christ is to obey His commandment by praying to God, the Heavenly Father in Jesus Christ name. Because Jesus Christ said in John 14:23 "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching."

Some people confuse us with the oneness of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. But even when they are one, throughout the bible we can see that the supremacy goes to the Heavenly Father. Some people even says that the difference between Jesus Christ and Heavenly father was only before the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Absolutely No!. It is clear that  
Jesus Christ, Son of God gave supremacy to Heavenly Father even after resurrection from His own words in Revelation  3:12, 'He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.'

Praying to Anybody else:
Praying to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ is the only method bible teaches us. Jesus Christ also clearly mentioned that, (Matthew 11:27) "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." If No one else knows the Father other than the Son, there is no other name than Jesus Christ in which we can pray to God.

A sample prayer:
'Heavenly Father, I pray to You that all people who read this article can understand to whom they should pray and the importance of praying to You in the name of Jesus Christ. Please give them the heart to pray likewise. In the name of Jesus Christ I pray.' Amen!


Dedicating this answer to the questioner, Ann Vincent.

No comments:

Post a Comment