27 August 2010

Is the oneness of Father, Son and Holy Spirit visible in the O.T?

Full Question:

Is the oneness of Father, Son and Holy Spirit stated in the Old Testament? Can you please give an answer based on the bible?

Answer :

The oneness of Father, Son and Holy Spirit was not begun from the time of New Testament. It was not also begun by the birth of Jesus Christ in this earth. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit were one from the very beginning and it was also just the same in the Old Testament.

We can just look through some parts of the Old Testament which will help you to clearly understand the oneness between Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In these parts we can clearly see God as three persons and with different personalities with a oneness among them.

Zechariah 2:8 "For this is what the LORD Almighty says: "After he has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you--for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye."

In the above verse we can see Lord Almighty (God) is saying that, 'after He has honored me and has sent me'. This verse is saying that God has honored God and has sent God. Here first person and second person is God. This is because even if the first person and second person is God, it represents two personalities in one God. Here the one person is Father God and Son Jesus Christ.

It can be confirmed by Zechariah 2:11, in which we can see God saying I will live among you and you will know that the Lord Almighty has sent me to you.

Zechariah 2:11 "Many nations will be joined with the LORD in that day and will become my people. I will live among you and you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you.

In Isaiah 48 also we can similarly see the three personalities of God or three God as three persons.

Isaiah 48:12-16 12 “Listen to Me, O Jacob, And Israel, My called: I am He, I am the First, I am also the Last. 13 Indeed My hand has laid the foundation of the earth, And My right hand has stretched out the heavens; When I call to them, They stand up together. 14 “All of you, assemble yourselves, and hear! Who among them has declared these things? The LORD loves him; He shall do His pleasure on Babylon, and His arm shall be against the Chaldeans. 15 I, even I, have spoken; Yes, I have called him, I have brought him, and his way will prosper. 16 “Come near to Me, hear this: I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; From the time that it was, I was there. And now the Lord GOD and His Spirit Have sent Me.” 17 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, The Holy One of Israel:

Here also God is the first person and we can see there are two second persons. It can be viewed clearly in the verse 16 in which God is speaking about sending Himself and talking about His Spirit. I think this is the only part in Old Testament where we can clearly see the oneness of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

We can also see the oneness of Father and Son again in Psalms 110:1. Here God is speaking to God, which is actually Father God speaking to Son God. They are two persons and two personality, but one.
Psalms 110:1 "The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

I hope you got your answer clearly through my answer. May God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Alfred Isac

    On the subject of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
    I recommend this video:
    The Human Jesus

    Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

    Yours In Messiah
    Adam Pastor

    ReplyDelete