14 March 2016

Whom Should Christians Pray To? (God, Son of God or Holy Spirit)

Due to the reason that God(Father), Son of God(Son) and Holy Spirit are mentioned as God, Vast majority of Christians do not know and not bothered about whom to pray exactly according to the word of God. But bible clearly instruct us whom to pray and I believe it is very necessary to do exactly as it says.

Christians usually have a tendency to pray to Jesus Christ, knowingly or unknowingly. You assume you are praying to Jesus Christ because of your love and intimacy. The fact is you are doing it due to your ignorance or due to your lack of attention when praying.

In bible, Jesus teach us as a commandment is to pray to Heavenly Father. Matthew 6:6 “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your FATHER, who is unseen.” Matthew 6:9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our FATHER in heaven, hallowed be your name. 

All the prayers in Bible was made to God LORD in the Old Testament as well as new testament. You can see all the list of references in the end. There is not even in a single prayer or single instruction in bible that allows you to even pray to Jesus.

What is wrong in praying to Jesus Christ?
The only wrong in praying to Jesus Christ is disobeying His own commandment, “Pray to your Father”. We are not even permitted to pray to Jesus Christ due to our love and intimacy. Because Jesus says in Matthew 7:21 that, “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” And again Jesus instruct us in John 14:15 "If you love me, obey my commandments.”

Can I pray to Jesus because Son is in Father and Father in Son?
In bible Jesus has made it clear that anyone who has seen me has seen the Father(John 14:9) and if you really know me, you will know my Father as well(John 14:7). But Jesus did not, “who is praying to me has prayed to my Father.” Despite of that Jesus also commanded to pray to Heavenly Father when you pray. 

Can I pray to Jesus because Son and Father are same after resurrection?
Some Christians says that it is alright to pray to Jesus Christ, because there is no difference between Father and Son after crucifixion and resurrection. It is completely wrong because we can see in the book of Revelation which is written after resurrection that Jesus introducing himself again as son of God. Rev.2:18, “These are the words of the Son of God” and again Jesus representing Heavenly Father as His God in, Rev. 3:7 Before my Father, 12, In the temple of My God, the name of My God, 21. Sat down with my Father on his throne. As well as bible clearly says what happened after crucifixion and resurrection is that God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name.(Phil.2:9)

LIST OF REFERENCES:
From Old Testament
Genesis 20:17 Then Abraham prayed to God
Genesis 25:21 Isaac prayed to the Lord
Genesis 32:9 Then Jacob prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me
Deuteronomy 9:26 I prayed to the Lord and said, “Sovereign Lord, do not destroy your people
Judges 13:8 Then Manoah prayed to the Lord:
Judges 16:28 Then Samson prayed to the Lord, “Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me 
1 Samuel 1:10 In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly.
1 Samuel 14:41 Then Saul prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel,
2 Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Psalm 5:2 Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.
Jeremiah 29:12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.

From New Testament
Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.
Matthew 6:9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name
Matthew 18:19-20 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Matthew 26:42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
Luke 6:12 One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.
John 16:23-24 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
John 17:1 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.
Acts 1:24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen
Acts 4:24 When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God. “Sovereign Lord,” they said, “you made the heavens and the earth and the sea, and everything in them.
Acts 16:25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.
Ephesians 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
1 Thessalonians 1:2 We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment